World's Easiest Clam Chowder Recipe
Dickie's Chowder ...
I remember the day I met Dickie and tasted his amazing Clam Chowder Recipe! I was at a military retirement party for a friend of mine and everyone
brought something to share. I wouldn't consider myself a Clam Chowder connoisseur in any light but when I tasted this one it was like heaven! Incredibly
creamy & chunky, full of amazing flavor, & scrumptious - I had to have the recipe!
I asked Dickie for the recipe and still have his shaky hand-written recipe on yellowed paper. It is our favorite main dish recipes for those cold, dark
winter days. This Chowder Recipe is not heart-healthy and is certainly not low-calorie. But if you're looking for a hearty, tasty Chowder Recipe - this is it!
Dickie's World's Easiest Clam Chowder Recipe
By ExperienceKetchikan.com, Feb 8, 2011
1 large can (10-12oz) Minced Clams
1/3 pound Bacon
1 medium Onion, diced
2 pounds Red Potatoes, diced into 1/2" cubes
1 quart Half & Half
Salt, Pepper, & Paprika to taste - not much!
- Place Clams & juice from the can into a large pot & simmer.
- Cook bacon till somewhat brown - not crisp - and let cool. While cooking the bacon, dice the onions & potatoes.
- When the bacon is finished, crumble it into the simmering clams.
- Using the bacon grease, sautee the onions until limp.
- Add the onions & salt, pepper, & paprika to the simmering clams & bacon.
- Add the potatoes and half & half and bring to a rolling boil for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- When it's ready to serve, I like to take a potato masher and mash the soup a couple times, just to smash any larger chunks of potato. :-)
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
More Ketchikan Information...
Top of Page